When viewing Toronto based artist Evan Penny's work, Ron Mueck immediately comes to mind.
The clear similarities include a representation which is completely photo-realistic, a playfulness with scale, and the mutually shared background in Hollywood SFX.
However, what sets Penny apart from Mueck is his acid-trippy twist on the human figure. His figures are often warped in their dimensionality, lying almost completely flat against the wall or fully robust in the round.
The craftsmanship is truly remarkable. If you're feeling inspired, you can begin by schooling yourself in the craft of silicone mold making.
View Penny's work below, Mueck's here.
Excerpted from Art Forum:
"Facile spectacle. Hollywood special effects. Technique for the sake of technique. There's no denying that those all seem likely, credible reactions to the ultrarealistic silicone figures of Evan Penny. Works by Duane Hanson and Ron Mueck seem impressionistic by comparison.) Yet even an eye immune to spectacle and craft can find these works compelling. That could be because, for all the stunning three-dimensionality that seems so central to them, the real referent of this sculpture photography. It turns our culture's crucial pictorial experience into a material one..."
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades